Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Tunes, Northfield, New Jersey

Tunes, Northfield, NJ
I've been on vacation since 7/18. I stopped in Hershey, PA and Philadelphia on our way to Cape May and the Jersey shore. Today was the first day I've had to do some record shopping. One of my favorite things to do when traveling is to look for record stores. There's a bunch of great ones left all over the country, but sometimes finding them can be tough. To help out, I use an app on my iPhone from The Vinyl District. It's pretty simple. You open the app and it tells you the nearest record stores.  Sometimes they're a couple miles away...sometimes 250 miles. Just select a store and it gives you reviews and directions. I've found loads of stores with this free app. Back to Cape May. This is an old seaside town on the southern tip of New Jersey. There's a ton of small shops...but not a single record store. I imagine they had a bunch back in the day, but they're all gone now. The closest I found (with the help of TVD and some suggestions from Deadformat.net), was a place near Atlantic City called Tunes (1205 Tilton Road, Northfield, NJ 08225, 609-241-6932). Lots of CD's and a fair amount of vinyl. The new vinyl was fairly priced. The used was in overall decent shape. Plenty of $1 and $2 discs to dig through. Some of the used stuff was a bit spendy. Oddly, there were a bunch of those Judas Priest 180 gram import reissues on the Koch label in the used section. The way they cropped the covers on those always bugged me, so I passed. I like to pick up a store t-shirt from the shops I visit.  Tunes didn't have any.

Here's what I bought... 


Joe Jackson - I'm The Man  $2.00 (Used)
(1979) A&M Records SP 4794

Jacket, inner sleeve and vinyl in nice condition. This is Joe Jackson's second LP. Great cover photo.








Brian May + Friends - Star Fleet Project  $3.00 (Used)
(1983) EMI Canada MLP-15014

Besides a hole punch, the jacket looks fine. The record looks great. These are tough to find. I didn't realize it was a Canadian pressing till I got back to our place. That's cool.






The Cars - Heartbeat City  $5.00 (Used)
(1984) Elektra 60296-1

Very nice promo label, pressed on QUIEX II vinyl. Very sharp gatefold jacket. They had two promo copies of this one. Both looked fine, but this one was better.







The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love (MONO)  $19.99 (New)
(2013) EH/Legacy 88765419711

This is the new mono 200 gram pressing. Gatefold jacket. Classic Hendrix. Brand new, sealed.






Spent the rest of the day at the beach. Beautiful sunshine most of the time. Listened to one of my recent favorites on the iPhone while watching the Atlantic Ocean lap at the shore:


Crippled Black Phoenix - No Sadness or Farewell
(2012) (MP3)

Still love this rather short-ish album. They claim it's a filler record, and a bridge between the old CBP and whatever comes next. Superb post-apocalyptic prog rock with a heavy Pink Floyd vibe and a hint of post rock goodness...

No comments:

Post a Comment